A few significant events in my life in the past 9 years have been teaching me some valuable lessons. I guess you could say I’m a slow learner… Nine years to figure out simple, basic lessons. Never-the-less I am learning and growing, and hopefully becoming a better person.
Lessons I am learning at 51 that I wish I would have learned sooner:
1) I’m tired of anger… my anger, other people’s anger. It is such a wasted emotion and drives us to do the most inane things. When I say, “I don’t care ” and follow it up with a conjunction then I obviously DO care and I need to let that insanity GO.
2) Life is short… yep, pithy and trite statement, but TRUE. I have lost too many friends to cancer, suicide, and accidents. Life IS short and I need to be aware of that fact everyday. I need to do what I enjoy as long as I am doing no harm. I will stop worrying about how others perceive me. It matters not if people approve of me. It doesn’t add or take away one moment of my life. I want to live each moment to the fullest and STOP with the regrets. I don’t want to be the “I should have” person. That means: More time on the beach – less time at the computer. More time with my family and friends – less time with social media, and my phone. More time listening to live music – less time with Pandora. More time traveling now – less time saying, “when I retire I will visit….. ” More real hugs – less virtual ones.
3) We are ONE world. Divide and Conquer is one of the worst phrases ever. He vs She, Conservatives vs Liberals, Christian vs Atheist, They vs Us. STOP STOP STOP the madness. We are ONE… yes we have differing views, opinions, and beliefs but those views, beliefs, opinions do not need to be shared by one and all. Think how boring it would be if the only flower were an orange Gerbera Daisy. I love those flowers but would tire of them rather quickly if it were not for Asters, Black Eyed Susans, Impatiens, Nasturtiums, Sweet Peas, Zinnias…. you get where I’m going with this, right? Variety is the spice of life. Stop with the “Liberals will destroy the world…” “Atheists are trying to….” NO – Stop! If Joe Schmoe the liberal, atheist, straight, German, tattooed lawyer, says something you disagree with- then address Joe Schmoe as an individual… his issue. Joe speaks for himself, He does not speak for all atheists, straights, Germans, or tattooed lawyers… There are good and bad people in ALL walks of life…. stop lumping them all together.
4) Step out of the box. Don’t let fear or laziness keep you from being the best version of yourself that you can be. Take chances, take that risk, go out on a limb. And when I say YOU, I mean ME. Go, Be, Do.
5) Share love, happiness, and peace everyday. Don’t go one day without sharing something positive. “I love you” or “I like your hat” or “Thank you for _____” or ….. you get the idea. Also, try to do one good thing everyday, it doesn’t have to be some grand sweeping gesture. Instead of walking by the discarded soda can, pick it up and put it in the trash; open the door for someone; take a batch of cookies to the local nursing home; send a card to a friend or family member. Simple, small things make a big difference.
I am looking forward to this next phase of my life. I do not anticipate smooth sailing but hope for more clarity and grand adventures.